Thursday, June 19, 2008



For those who have come before. For those who are now. For those who are yet to be.

This block has been hard for me from an academic standpoint. I am taking a course about feminism and it has worked pretty hard at convincing me that I don't belong in the feminist movement. Articles about how every single thing that society tells us is negatively gendered against women, to paint women as inferior and accepting any representation that society puts forth is sticking a knife in the back of "real" feminists everywhere. While the course itself has been horribly disappointing from that standpoint, it has made me realize that I can make my own definitions. It is not so much my problem if I am not assigned any readings written in the last decade, or that I don't want to see my life as nothing but a struggle against a world that doesn't value me.

So I am writing my final project and I came across this video. Because THIS is what a feminist looks like. This kid right here. And anyone that tries to tell me otherwise has a Mount Everest of a battle ahead of them.

-B