Sunday, December 6, 2009

On people

So, since Thanksgiving, I returned to Bowling Green and am frantically attempting to finish these last few projects, finish the semester and have a proper vacation. It has been hard to continue my drive since passing comps. It feels like I succeeded in everything I wanted to do, completed the big goal of the program, all that jazz.

But this isn't what I wanted to write about today. I wouldn't say that I am a particularly optimistic person. I like to see the good in people but have learned over the years that the vast majority of people will be disappointing. There is nothing wrong with that, per se, but it's just a fact. Despite everything that I have been through in my interactions with other people, I can almost always see the other side of the equation. I think people can't possible believe they are evil people and though actions may seem to imply that they are, they can't possibly believe that. But I am currently reevaluating this stance. I think maybe there are truly terrible people out there. Ben and Kyle were robbed. They were walking home in the middle of the night, were followed and stopped by two guys, who took their wallets and ran. I don't understand how the two men who did this can wake up in the morning and think anything other than "I am a terrible person." Ben and Kyle don't have a lot of money between them, they blocked their credit cards and filed a police report right after the incident. So what was the point in what these men did? What was the function?

I am angry and it didn't even happen to me. I am still working through the feelings and may update about it later. I just think it is so wrong.

-B

1 comment:

Kara said...

People do awful things all the time and lie about it. It really is disgusting. People steal from the library. THE FREE PUBLIC LIBRARY! Just get a card and return the stuff on time and you can steal things for 2 weeks at a time. It's really not difficult. I think some live by a different moral standard, that is to say that these other people don't have one. So looking in the mirror in the morning isn't an issue. When I look in the mirror I see all the things I've done etc. When that thief looks in the mirror, he just sees a face.