The past two weeks have been crazy busy, hence not a whole lot of time for updating. I found out last week that I got in to one of the library schools to which I applied (YAY!), I have been given an award for graduate school excellence (YAY!) and the Register nomination I have been working on for ages is FINALLY almost ready to get sent to the review board! Now, it's just finishing up all of the reading and what not that I have to do between now and leaving for home in a week and a half and I will be in good shape.
In other news, I came across this as I was procrastinating. I read the article, I found some other articles about it and all I can say is, SERIOUSLY?! I knew that Utah was kind of anti-woman, but criminalizing miscarriages?! The justification for the bill is the example of a 17 year old who hired someone to beat her up and force her to miscarry in the third trimester. I want to know why no one was asking her why, or at least no one is posting it anywhere. From the people that I have known who have had children, you don't carry the pregnancy for seven months to willy-nilly decide that you don't want it anymore. But I digress. How is the appropriate response, "it will be a criminal act to do anything reckless that may cause a miscarriage"? What does "reckless" mean? Slipping on the ice? (She should have been wearing shoes with a better tread!) Falling down the stairs? (If she had been holding on to the railing better, it never would have happened!) Nothing at all? (If she had eaten better or tried harder, the pregnancy wouldn't have miscarried!).
Oh, the shape of the world today. I am never living in Utah. I knew that already, but seriously.
-B
Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment