Monday, January 4, 2010

2010

It's the new year! Happy New Year, everybody! I have been thinking about posting since my last post but for some reason, other things keep getting in the way. I had a wonderful Christmas with my family and have been in Madison with Ben for the past week or so. It's been pretty amazing to get to spend so much time with him, though waking up at 5:30 to help him get up for work is less than fun. Ah, the things we do for the men we love, right? As 2009 came to a close, I had some time for reflection. Ben and I went to the same party we go to every New Years and it was fun, as usual.

2009 wasn't a spectacular year, but I think it was alright. I was trying to count my accomplishments for the year and it seemed more impressive than I had originally thought. In 2009, I maintained my 4.0 average in graduate school. I interned at the National Park Service and had the best summer from a professional stand point. I passed my comprehensive exams. I got engaged. I presented a paper at a conference. Though there were obviously low points, I am trying to focus on the high points. I did a lot this past year and can only hope that my trajectory remains constant. I am very excited for 2010, the year in which I turn 25, get married, finish my (first) Master's degree and start my life as part of my own family.

This break I have had a lot of time to think. Well, think and read. I have read five books so far, played many hours of fun video games and spent tons of time with Ben, watching movies, making food and being silly. It's been wonderful and it really emphasizes to me how long it's been since I had a proper vacation. Though now that we are in the new year, I need to start thinking about finishing those remaining applications and getting ready for the new semester, I hadn't realized how much ambient stress I had been maintaining about school. Now that comps are over and passed, I feel almost like I can relax for a minute. I can spend my time doing not school work and not feel even the slightest bit guilty. It has been pretty fabulous.

I have also been thinking about resolutions. I tend to not make resolutions because they set me up for failure as I am always overly optimistic about my own capabilities when it feels that I have the whole year stretched in front of me. But all the same. I resolve this year to be a good friend, both to my long standing friends and new friends I will assuredly make. I resolve to be a good fiance, and I will try to keep my focus on the marriage above and beyond the wedding. I resolve to finish my degree with class and dignity, and not allow myself to fall into the "senior slump" that began to rear its ugly head last semester. I resolve to visit Mammoth Cave to go walking or picnicking at least twice more before leaving Kentucky for good. But most importantly, I resolve to try to be more positive, to see the good in people and events, and seek to remember the good times. I can be happy and the only behavior I can control is my own.

So there. My all of one reader (hey, Kara!) will appreciate this for sure. 2009 may have had its bumps but I came out alright. 2010 is going to be good. I can feel it.

-B

No comments: