So I have spent much of the afternoon thinking about the video below. On first watch, my first thoughts were not within the framework of religion at all, but more about the horror of the abuse. While I understand the focus of the piece is religion, more specifically how some men use religion, but my reaction was not anger about religion, but anger about mankind in general. I don't know if I am expressing myself clearly (as I had trouble in class as well). There are so many aspects of the piece that lead me to believe that I (or at least others like me, coming from a "Western" background) am the intended audience of the work, and it is sensational because it wants to cause a reaction. I don't know, I think it was interesting, though difficult to watch and the more I think about it, the less I really think I understand.
In other news, I got some good today - money from one of my grad schools! I was only sent an informal offer, but it is good and makes me feel wanted. I am still beaming whenever I think about it and probably shrieked for about 20 minutes after opening the email. So yay!
That is all for now... I think I am going to turn on a movie or something because I didn't really sleep that well last night (storms or precipitation of any kind make it really hard for me to go back to sleep if something else wakes me up...) and I am tired, exhausted from the days of worrying and the hours of pondering.
-B
Tuesday, March 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment