Wednesday, March 12, 2008

New beginnings...

So I have to rethink my plans. I didn't get into the school that I wanted to go to and I am a little devastated. Though as time goes on, I am dealing with it better, it still sucks. I know that I am more than qualified. I have a great GPA, high standardized test scores, wonderful letters of recommendation, strong writing experience and examples and an honest desire to be a folklorist. There is no reason why they rejected me. And I don't understand how I got into a superior program. But I have amazing flatmates - Enrica and Sara went to the store and got me chocolates and a cake to make me feel better about things. It made it easier to calm down. And I talked to my mom about my other options. I am still waiting to hear about money at WKU and I would be happy to go to either WKU or IU... I am coming out of undergrad with virtually no debt, so my worst case scenario is having to take out loans. I just don't want to have to work some fast food type job... that is really what I am worried about. I think that my pain from getting rejected came not just from the fact that a school that everyone had told me was basically a shoe-in doesn't want me, but that I have to rethink the way that I see the next two years of my life. And it isn't bad, per se, because I will be happy wherever I end up. I love what I do and I have two great schools that do want me, who want to make it possible for me to fulfill my potential. I just have to start thinking about my future with a different vision.

Yesterday was just a bad day in general. I didn't sleep the night before, Nick and Sofia left, I got caught in a downpour when riding home from class and then I had to find out my future plans were shot. But today is a new day and I am determined to look at the bright side of things. I will find a way to fund myself through this masters because it is what I want to do. I am good at what I do, even though right now I feel lower than dirt. I will write this paper that I have to write today and it is going to be great.

Today is a new day.

-B

No comments: